This village (420m altitude) is 36 km from Sitia and 30 from Ierapetra, situated on a small road which runs from Agios Stefanos to Stavrohori; it can also be reached by a side road (about 6 km) which turns inland from the main Sitia lerapetra road at the rise at Makrigialos. A quite big part of this road passes through the "Pefkiano" gorge, a wonderful landscape with plenty of pine trees. A little before Pefki we have a panoramic view of that typical traditional Cretan village. It is built with narrow paved streets and old stone built house. A small folklore museum provides information on the history and the day to day life of the village. The name is clearly derived from the pine trees that cover this area (pefki : pine trees). It was not mentioned in Castrofylaca's 1583 census. Above Pefki, οn the peak Kastelopoulo, a small Late-Minoan building has been located; this was perhaps a watchtower or beacon.
Ιn the area are the caves of Apaloustres and Latsidi Vreikon; there are traces of habitation from the Neolithic era in the latter. Το the same community also belong the following hamlets: Diaskari, Langadia, Pilalimata and Analipsi (all still inhabited), and Ai Georgis ο Samakidis and Aspros Potamos. The last hamlet is recently restored by individuals with attention to preserve the traditional character. Analipsi is really the eastern part of Makrigialos, which has recently been separated from the Agios Stefanos community and reallocated to that of Pefki.
It was verified in 1972 that a Late Μinoan settlement of considerable size was located at Diaskari οn the shore of the Libyan Sea. It covers the whole hill and includes sizable and significant buildings, but systematic excavations have not yet been carried out.
From the book "Sitia", N.Papadakis, Arcaeologist,1983