This village belongs to the Itanos Municipality. The origin of the name is unknown, perhaps it is derived from a family name. It is not mentioned in the 1583 census, but it is believed to have been razed with other villages during Turkish pirate raids in 1471 AD and later reestablished after the 16th century. Το the west of the settlement is the hill of Endichtis (560m) which was believed to have been the site of a peak sanctuary. Excavations in 1972 however proved that this could not have been so. Various things such as loom weights, a whetstone and clay spindle whorls were collected, but not one single figurine, which seems to exclude the possibility of this spot having been a shrine. So it must be regarded rather as a simple habitation.